Mother’s Day, traditionally celebrated on the second Saturday in May each year in the U.S., is a day known for honoring mothers and celebrating the gift of motherhood. But did you know…
- In many parts of the world, Mother’s Day is celebrated in months other than May.
- Mother’s Day was first celebrated in 1907 when Anna Jarvis held a memorial for her mother. She succeeded in her campaign to make it a national holiday, but quickly became disappointed by the commercialization that shadowed the real meaning of the day.
- In 2009, there was an estimated 85.4 million mothers in the U.S. alone.
- Over the past couple of years, the most popular baby names Ethan and Jacob for boys and Emma, Isabella and Olivia for girls.
- Greeting cards, flowers, jewelry and perfume are the top gifts given to moms for Mother’s Day. Taking mom out to dinner is also a top choice.
- California produces about 75% of the flowers given to moms on Mother’s Day.
- There are about 5 million stay-at-home moms in the U.S.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the Kansas City moms!